Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The University of Minnesota Law School is committed to creating a more just society for our local, national, and international communities. Alongside many of you, we have been working hard toward change, but we know there is still a long road ahead. Racial and social justice work is both urgent and long-term, and Minnesota Law's mission—focused on education, outreach, and research—includes a shared responsibility to educate lawyer-leaders who will also work to bring about justice and change. The lives of our BIPOC students, faculty, staff, and alumni community members matter and we are energized and determined to succeed in this important work.
Diversity By the Numbers
Our Ongoing Commitment to Racial Equity & Justice
To inform our longstanding commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, Dean Jenkins appointed a Racial Equity & Justice Committee, which includes faculty, leadership, and students, and is tasked with working towards structural change by developing and tracking actions, and providing accountability and transparency on our efforts.
Minnesota Law Course Highlights
Minnesota Law has expanded courses related to social and racial justice and the law. We continue to revise our curriculum and work with community members and faculty on new and returning courses for each semester. Recent courses include:
- George Floyd’s Minneapolis: Past, Present, and Moving Forward with Dean Garry Jenkins & Professor Perry Moriearty
- Race and the Law: Systems, Structures, and Solutions with Adjunct Professor Judge Nicole Starr ’03
- Public Interest Advocacy and State Attorney General with Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison ’90
- International Human Rights with Professor Fionnuala Ní Aoláin
- Race and American Law with Adjunct Professor Ra'Shya Ghee ’13
- Civil Rights: Citizenship and Human Rights with Professor Christoper Roberts
- Equal Protections and Civil Rights Act with Professor Myron Orfield
- Poverty and Human Rights with Adjunct Professor Amanda Lyons, Human Rights Center Executive Director and Lecturer in Law