Join the Student Philanthropy Board
The University of Minnesota Law School’s Student Philanthropy Board (SPB) plays an important role in building the culture of philanthropy at the Law School among students, faculty, staff, and alumni. The SPB provides current law students the opportunity to gain practical board experience, to learn about and promote the importance of philanthropy, design and manage a fundraising campaign, and to build connections with Law School alumni and donors.
What does the SPB do?
- Participate in and encourage student involvement in programs that foster a lasting awareness and appreciation of philanthropy at the Law School including Gopher Gratitude Day and Give to the Max Day
- Plan, manage, and solicit peers for gifts to the Law School as part of the Graduating Class Gift Campaign
- Network with donors and alumni at special events and deepen alumni connections with the Law School
- Collaborate with the Office of Advancement to develop additional ideas to promote a culture of philanthropy among students and new alumni
Who makes up the SPB?
The SPB should reflect and represent the diversity of the Law School student body and consist of a group of Law School students at various stages of completing their degrees and include LLM students. Run in conjunction with two co-chairs, the SPB will also be staffed by a liaison from the Office of Advancement.
Who is the ideal member?
- Has fundraising/non-profit experience or is interested in philanthropy
- Organized, with time management and project management skills
- Strong communication skills and comfortable interacting with peers, alumni, and donors
- Able to attend 3 meetings during the academic year and select Law School events
- Passionate about the Law School and committed to its success as a leader in legal education
What skills do SPB members gain?
- Public Speaking
- Board Experience
Applications are accepted each September to fill openings on the 14 member board. To learn more about joining, contact the Assistant Director of Annual Giving, Katie Jacob at email@example.com.
Applications are now open through September 12, 2022. Apply now!