Saeks Public Interest Residency Program
The Saeks Public Interest Residency Program is a new program established by Allen ’56 and Linda Saeks that connects leading public interest and government organizations with high-achieving 3L students. Students work full-time during their third year of law school for a nonprofit or government agency and have a guaranteed, full-time, paid legal position with the same organization the year following graduation. This innovative model provides students with valuable legal training and a pipeline to employment, while providing the organizations with much-needed legal assistance.
Application and Selection Process
Students are selected on a competitive basis by partner organizations during their second year of law school. All 2L students at the University of Minnesota Law School who are interested in serving the public while earning their degree may apply. Applications are due in early spring. The application is posted on the Law School’s Symplicity website.
Residency Partner Organizations
Leading local public interest and government organizations are the foundation of the Saeks Public Interest Residency Program. The program provides participating partner organizations with a pipeline of high-achieving students with proven dedication to public service. Potential partner organizations benefit from scholar participation for two years—first as an extern and then as a full-time staff attorney—for the cost of a one-year employee.
Past & Current Partner Organizations
- Central Minnesota Legal Services
- Gender Justice
- Hennepin County Attorney’s Office
- HOME Line
- Housing Justice Center
- Immigrant Law Center of Minnesota
- Rainbow Health (formerly JustUs Health)
- The Legal Rights Center
- Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid
- Minnesota Board of Public Defense
- Minneapolis City Attorney's Office
- Minnesota Department of Human Rights
- Office of Minnesota Attorney General
- Pro Bono Institute
- Public Health Law Center
- Ramsey County Attorney’s Office
- Southern Minnesota Regional Legal Services (SMRLS)
- St. Paul City Attorney's Office
- Volunteer Lawyers Network
- Wisconsin State Public Defenders
Becoming a Partner Organization
The Saeks Public Interest Residency Program welcomes new partner organizations. To learn more about being a partner organization, contact Amanda Furst.