Applying as a Transfer or Visiting Student

The University of Minnesota Law School welcomes transfer and visiting students. Transfer and visiting applications become available in January and are due by August 1 for a fall semester start.


To petition for journals, submit completed application by May 1.

To participate in Off-Campus and/or On-Campus Interview programs, students must enroll by July 1. To apply as a Transfer or Visiting student, please register with the LSAC Credential Assembly Service (CAS) and submit the following through LSAC:

  • Completed application—available on January 1
  • Application fee of $60
  • Personal statement explaining your interest in transferring to or visiting Minnesota Law; two pages, double-spaced
  • Resume
  • Law school transcript containing at least your first semester grades, sent directly from your law school to LSAC. (The Admissions Committee reserves the right to reconsider admission decision upon receipt of final 1L transcript.)
  • One letter of recommendation from a law school instructor, sent directly by the recommender to LSAC
  • Final, official undergraduate transcript sent through the CAS
  • LSAT score information as part of CAS report

Submit these items through your law school Registrar’s Office to Admissions at Minnesota Law:

  • Letter of good standing (submit at time of application)
  • Final 1L transcript with second semester grades—or most recent transcript if a Visiting student—to be received no later than August 1. (The Admissions Committee reserves the right to reconsider admission decision upon receipt of final 1L transcript.)  

Official Law School transcript should be sent by Registrar to:

University of Minnesota Law School
Admissions Office
N130 Mondale Hall
229 19th Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55455

OR the transcript may be emailed to

For more details, please review the Transfer and Visiting Student FAQs.

For information on how to apply as an LLM to JD transfer, please review the LLM to JD transfer application procedure.


As required by Title IX, the University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in any of its education programs or activities, including in admissions and employment. Inquiries about the application of Title IX can be directed to the University’s Title IX Coordinators or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office of Civil Rights. Please see the University of Minnesota’s Title IX Statement and the University’s policy for information about: (1) how to contact the Title IX Coordinators on the University’s campuses; (2) how to report or file a formal complaint of sexual harassment, gender-based harassment, sexual assault, stalking or relationship violence; and (3) the University’s procedures for responding to reports and formal complaints.