Ra'Shya Ghee '13 Appointed Minnesota Law's Inaugural Assistant Dean of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Ra'Shya Ghee '13 will join Minnesota Law in mid-August as its assistant dean of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
In this newly created role, Ghee will be part of the Law School’s senior leadership team and will be responsible for leading and aligning the Law School’s critical work in diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging. The role will focus on:
- leading support for a diverse student community;
- directing strategic initiatives in diversity, equity, and inclusion; providing counsel to faculty, staff, and students;
- supporting recruitment efforts for a diverse student community;
- coordinating with broader University efforts;
- leading educational programming and training to advance the Law School’s goals; and
- fostering dialogue across diverse identities, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
Ghee practiced criminal defense and family law in Ohio at the municipal, state, and appellate levels for several years before moving into DEI consulting work. Her consulting work focused on cross-racial coaching, providing commentary on racial tensions to news and journalism outlets, and helping organizations center racial equity and operationalize anti-racist frameworks.
Ghee has also worked as an adjunct professor since 2017, including teaching Race & American Law at Minnesota Law in Spring 2021.
Ghee graduated from the Minnesota Law in 2013 where she served as President of the Black Law Student Association (BLSA) and participated in the Misdemeanor Defense Clinic and Maynard Pirsig Moot Court. She also holds a B.A. and an M.B.A. from the University of Toledo.
“Please join me in welcoming Ra'Shya back to Minnesota Law,” said Garry W. Jenkins, dean and William S. Pattee Professor of Law. “I look forward to continuing to advance our important work in this space and welcoming Ra'Shya into Law School leadership.”